Kanlaon: A Dream Climb with a Tinge of Diarrhea

Mt. Kanlaon traverse
Mapot-Mananawin trail
Canlaon City, Negros Occidental
December 12-14, 2012

View of Margaha Valley and the saddle from Makawiwili Peak. Photo credit: Niel Jarina

View from Makawiwili Peak of Margaha Valley and the saddle. Photo credit: Niel Jarina

It was not a perfect climb. The weather was crappy. We spent an entire day stranded in the campsite, shivering in the cold and bored out of our minds. We ran out of butane. I was crippled by dysmenorrhea, severe diarrhea and dehydration, and I thought I was going to die in a tent with shit in my pants.

And yet somehow, it still turned out to be one hell of an awesome climb. The sun came out and the battering winds gave us a break. We made it to the summit and caught a glimpse of the crater. I survived on a bottle of Propel and a strip of beef jerky.

I can’t write the whole story yet but for now, I’m just happy to be alive (with bowel movement back to normal) and overwhelmed that I was able to achieve one of my dream climbs.

Whenever I get too cocky for my own good, I’m reminded that I’m only able to climb a mountain by the grace of God, the favor of nature, and the enduring support and patience of my fellow climbers. For these, I will always be grateful.

On that note, let me give a shout-out to the seven guys who summited Mt. Kanlaon with me: Ed, my halimaw friend who preserved my sanity by helping out with the logistics of the climb; Edwin, the old school Montanara mountaineer who always takes the initiative to help out in the campsite; Dave, whose optimism to reach the summit remained unfazed even though the odds (and the guides) were against it; Trajan, who spent his birthday with us and treated us to a post-climb dinner at Joring’s Café (our favorite spot in Canlaon City); Niel, our resident photographer who takes the most amazing pictures; Mike, who took on Kanlaon as his first major climb and came out of it still a happy trooper; and Dante, who kept me alive throughout the entire ordeal (thanks for the Propel, for keeping watch while I meandered weakly on the trail, for pushing me on to the summit when I was about to give up, for carrying my backpack on the last leg of the trek, and for generally making sure I don’t drop dead on this climb). Thank you guys! You are all amazing and in spite of everything, I’m glad I was able to do this climb with you.

Kanlaon was beautiful beyond words and I will definitely go back (this time, armed with water purification tablets).

Sunrise at the jump-off

Sunrise at the jump-off

Group photo on Makawiwili Peak. Front: Mike and Dante. Back: Niel, Trajan, Ed, Dave, me and Edwin. Photo credit: Niel Jarina

At the Margaha Valley, before summit assault: Dante, Edwin, Dave, Trajan, Mike, Ed and Niel.

Summit!

Summit!

Advertisements

32 thoughts on “Kanlaon: A Dream Climb with a Tinge of Diarrhea

1. Tatay Joni

short story pa lang mam appetizer na, thank God safe kayo to tell your “I Shouldn’t Be Alive” episode.

sige po abangan namin yung whole kwento, pwede mo kami magabayan sa ilang future climb

2. worddruid

Madam na madam talaga. bukod tangi na naman hahaha inggit ako sa pictures. 😀 Magfufull-on research mode na pala ko para sa Manta. Mahirap ma-diarrhea kapag 7 araw tayong asa bundok. Di na pwede ang salonpas at alcohol na first aid kit hahaha

1. Tintin Post author

Nagdalawang-isip nga ako bigla sa Manta after this episode eh. Haha! Grabeng diarrhea yun, feeling ko nailabas ko na lahat pati pancreas at balun-balunan ko. At ang depressing ng jumejebs habang nakatalukbo ng raincoat at inuulan at hinahangin at nanginginig sa ginaw at halos gumapang na pabalik ng tent. Di ko alam pano ako nabuhay. Hahaha.

1. jebuzinjamonk

Madam talaga, sobra naman naman yan!… Ikaw pa!, baka bundok na nga lang ang sumuko sa iyo eh! You’re a certified master hardcore na naghinahinaan… hahaha…But anyway, glad you’re all safe.

1. Tintin Post author

Mukha mo! Kadiri naman ang ipagkukunwarian ko, LBM pa gyud. But thanks for worrying about me, dude. Na-tats naman ako sa tawag mo. Heehee. Di na nako higdaan akong phone next time. 😀

3. judy

oh men! that was such a awesome experience, tin! (no pun intended considering the two rheas you experienced 🙂
    i have plans of climbing that mountain on the first week of june…can i bring those 7 awesome guys with you? 🙂

1. Tintin Post author

Haha sure! They’re great (for the most part). They follow orders, I mean requests, well and they’re very easy to get along with. Just be prepared for testosterone-laden conversations about, well, you know what guys usually like to talk about. 😛 What trail are you taking, by the way? I’d also love to go back next year and try the Wasay-Guintubdan trail.

1. judy

haha! carry un! i havent figured out yet kung anong trail…ano ba ung pinaka madali? 🙂 (i have actually confirmed bookings from june-dec, except july for climbing adventures…at wala pa akong kasama..sana makasabit ako sa mga climbs mo :-))

4. jebuzinjamonk

Wow, its a small world talaga ang mundo para sa mga mountaineers. Your resident photographer, Niel Jarina, was also our photographer & our buddy during our climb in Mt. Tres Marias in Almeria, Biliran in Leyte wayback last June 23-24, 2012.

Congratz to you and to all….

1. Tintin Post author

Ah kasama nyo rin pala si Niel? Ayos! Nakinabang kami ng husto sa baon nilang beef tapa. Baunin na rin natin yun sa mga susunod na akyat. Order tayo from Cebu. Hehe.

1. jebuzinjamonk

Naalala ko nga nung sa Mt. Tres Marias, nagbaon yang si Niel ng Bacon at Ham yata yun.. Natawa at natuwa ako nun dahil social ang ulam namin sa bundok…hahaha. Maganda yung tent ni Niel, maluwag. Nakalimutan ko lang yung brand.

5. jebuzinjamonk

Hi Judy, si Kuya Rene po yung guide namin dun sa Tres Marias. Pang-apat na linya ang bahay niya mula sa Waiting Shed ng jump off…We’ll give you the contact number later hanapin ko muna.
    And then if ever, ask Kuya Rene na e side trip nyo yung last(pang anim) na falls sa Tres Marias. Maganda doon at ma-e enchant kayo sa ganda ng mga falls doon.

1. Tintin Post author

Ayaw nga din kami payagan. Grabeng pilitan at pagmamakaawa sa guide ang ginawa namin. Nung second day wala kaming ginawa kundi tumambay sa campsite dahil ansama ng panahon. Third day na ang last chance. Buti umaraw konti. Makapal pa rin fog at mahangin kaya ayaw pa rin talaga pumayag ng isang guide. Yung isa lang ang nakumbinsi namin. Sabi nya nga kami lang daw ang pinaakyat nila sa ganung panahon kasi normally daw talaga di na sila nagpapaakyat under those conditions. Buti naman naging okay. Pinainom na lang namin sila afterwards, pambawi sa sakit ng ulo at kaba nila samin. Hehe.

6. tukz 03

it does happens..ung parang iiyak k na kc malapit kn sa summit pero ayaw nya mgpakita..when i came back after two years,i claimed my sweet revenge (-: kudos to trajan and dave n nkasama ko n din sa climb.

7. tukz 03

hehe nice. cgurado abot tenga ang ngiti sa 10 seconds na un congrats! my first attempt..nothing/zero at all..when i came back..boom! 2hrs ata clear haha

1. Tintin Post author

Literal na nagtatatalon ako sa tuwa nung nasa summit na. Tapos nung nag-clear sa crater, nakadapa na kami para magpicture. Yung guide nasa likod nakahawak samin. Baka malaglag daw kami sa bangin. Hehe. Saya naman nun, antagal ng clearing sa inyo! Sulit ang balik mo Sir. 🙂

8. tukz 03

hehe yup sulit. 1 month after ng lindol mung march kmi umakyat. kaya fresh p ung mga crack sa summit. delikado nga cia..

9. Tupe Diaz

when i went there solo, i posed at the crater’s rim with loose rocks. my guide took me photo with a rant. suddenly the bright skies turned all-white, i threw up 3x, i suffered diarrhea with fever. i was soaked in the first rain after the 2010 el niño. the big green striped leeches feasted on my skin. i get nursed at my guide’s home for a night. and i was badly looking for my mother.

1. Tintin Post author

Waah Tupe!!! I feel your pain and believe me when I say I know exactly how you felt. Nag-crave na ako ng dextrose at the time at muntik na akong mamaalam sa nanay at tatay ko kasi feeling ko mamamatay na talaga ako sa tent. Hahaha! Stagnant kasi ang watersources sa Kanlaon tapos yung nakuha naming tubig mukha nang ihi. Di naman ako sensitive usually sa tubig pero di na ata kinaya ng mga bulate ko ang bacteria dun. Well, at least sobrang memorable talaga ang mga Kanlaon climbs natin. Literal na buwis-buhay. Hehe.