Forget the Bucket List: 10 Things I Don’t Have to Do Before I Die

You know how people often make bucket lists, those things they want to do before they die? Well, I’m jumping on that other bandwagon and writing a list of things I won’t mind missing out on. Maybe I’d still end up doing some of them someday but for now, I’m perfectly happy even if they don’t come to pass in my lifetime.

1. Go skydiving. If you’re going to make me do it, then you better push me off the plane because there’s no way in hell I’m going to jump on my own unless the pilots are dead and the engine is on fire.

2. Climb Mt. Everest. An Everest climb costs around $35,000 excluding plane fare and all the gear you’ll need so you won’t die of frostbite. With all that money, I could go on so many other climbs in the Philippines and around the world. I get it; it’s Mt. Everest, the highest mountain on earth. If I win the lottery or rich, crazy people are willing to foot the bill, then why not? Until then, I’m good with more affordable but still very rewarding climbs. (Of course, there’s also the more important consideration of whether I could actually survive an Everest climb. The mortality rate of climbing the world’s highest peak is at 10 percent. I’m not too keen on joining that statistic.)

3. Run a marathon. I could walk for hours on rough, uphill terrain but please don’t make me run for long distances on a flat, paved road. I will shrivel and collapse on the pavement. Even a three-kilometer run leaves me in a half-dead state.

4. Run with bulls. There’s this insane festival in Pamplona, Spain where people wear white and run in front of bulls. A group of female bloggers even thought it was a great idea to go there and join in on the fun. All I can say is hats off to them and better them than me. I don’t like running (as you may have gleaned from number 3). I like enraged bulls on the loose even less.

5. Get a tattoo. I have a low tolerance for pain and I bruise easily. I can understand body art but I’m not willing to suffer for it. And my parents will kill me.

6. Learn a sport that uses a ball. The thing with a ball is it’s bouncy and it’s a pain in the ass to chase after bouncy things. It also tends to hit you in the face.

7. Go free-diving. It’s underwater diving for people who hate air. I happen to like air and breathing, thank you very much.

8. Get my nails done. This is going to make me sound like a freak (and yes, I am in fact a freak) but I’ve never had anyone else mess with my nails (except for my mother who had to trim them when I was still too young to use a nail cutter). I find it creepy that another person with a sharp object would have control over my fingers and toes. It’s one of those irrational things I can’t explain, like my hatred for marshmallows. I probably need therapy.

9. Go to a rock concert. I’ve had my share of rock concerts in college. I didn’t really enjoy them that much but it was one of those things a 17-year-old had to do to appear cool. I’ve now come to terms with the fact that I’m a dork and that’s okay. Also, I love my eardrums and I’m no good as a groupie.

10. Go back to Boracay. Too crowded, too noisy, too filthy. I’ve been there once and I vowed never to go back.

What’s your anti-bucket list?

Advertisements

25 thoughts on “Forget the Bucket List: 10 Things I Don’t Have to Do Before I Die

1. Ian [EagerExistence]

Interesting take on the whole “bucket list” concept — albeit a negative view — I’d be interested to read about the things you want to achieve & the steps you’re taking to get there. I too have a small list of things I have no desire to try, but still blog about it because I believe its great to have ambition and goals.. even if they dont align with my own. Plus its interesting to learn about fun things going on in the world.

1. Tintin Post author

I totally agree. The world is a big place and there are so many things to explore. We just have different ways of exploring it and of defining the experiences we want to matter in our short, finite lives. If I had a bucket list, it would include things like climbing as many mountains as I can before my knees give out (currently in progress), exploring all 80 provinces of my country, and going backpacking in Central Asia. (I heard Chiang Mai is crawling with backpackers and expats these days. Time to explore Kyrgyzstan.) Thanks for dropping by. Best of luck on your travels!

2. jet

You can so hold your own in a marathon if you really want to, you will not shrivel or collapse. If you did, I’d probably say you’re faking it and it’s more from laziness than exhaustion (grabe akong makainsight ano? ahahaha). I’ve seen you trek, my friend haha

1. Tintin Post author

And that’s why we’re friends. Wagas ang confidence mo sakin. Hahaha. Thanks! Malilibre kita sa Good Taste niyan. 😀 Excited na ako sa Tapulao! Sana wala na munang bagyo. *keeping fingers crossed*

3. Karen Reyes

you really don’t want to go back to Boracay?hahaha. I agree that the place is really noisy especially during summer. But there are few places you will definitely want to go back to, take for example, Puka beach. I went there for the first time last June and it was surreal (at least for me…hehehe). Anyways, I do agree with the nail thing, it’s a bit creepy :p. I enjoyed reading this entry Tin. Keep blogging 🙂 See you in Tapulao…

1. Tintin Post author

Puka beach is nice but it’s a regular stopover for island hoppers so it still feels like a jetty, what with motorboats coming and going every five minutes. I’ve been saying this so many times but I really think Boracay needs a break. The tourist influx and construction boom have gone beyond the island’s carrying capacity. It’s a classic case of overdevelopment gone batshit crazy. Unfortunately, people are too concerned with losing revenue from tourism to actually implement serious rehabilitation programs and reforms.

Wow, naging seryoso bigla. Hehe. Anyway… thanks, Karen! Miss ko na HLGG. Looking forward to hanging out with you guys again! See you next weekend! 😀

4. Niel

Aside from being an avid mountaineer and traveler, i’ve done 1,3,5,9 and 10 (dork’s can listen to Smashing Pumpkins and Stone Temple Pilots too). I haven’t regretted any of those and I would like to try out 2 and 7 someday given the chance. Think maybe you don’t know what your missing unless you try it 😉

1. Tintin Post author

Wow, you have been quite busy. (And what have I done with my life? *bangs head on wall*) Challenge accepted! Maybe I will try some of them someday. For starters, who wants to push me off an airplane? 😀 Thanks for dropping by!

1. Niel

Come to think of it, I was pushed off a plane (or more like pulled out). If you’re not licensed in skydiving, you can only do tandem jumps – meaning you’re strapped onto someone. The ex-Navy Seals guy I was strapped on to (who is twice as thick as I am) just jumped out the plane without any warning. The least he could have done was do a 1-2-3 jump. Then again, I probably would have held on to the plane and refused to jump if he did. A good strategy you may want to try.

1. Tintin Post author

Thanks for the tip! Putting that on my to-do list: Find a merciless, barrel-chested ex-Navy Seals who will haul me off a plane. I’ll probably scream and wail all the way down so he better have strong eardrums, too.

5. missmojiberry

haha – an anti-bucket list, I love it! Just written my bucket list, and sadly I completed a marathon this year… whilst I got the medal I wanted, I think I realised that I’d really pushed myself to do something that was mostly incredibly unpleasant, all out of some strange need to be able to say I’d completed a marathon. Won’t be doing that again! Maybe I should have an anti-bucket list alongside the other… thanks for the food for thought!

1. Tintin Post author

You just succeeded in articulating the point of this post (which I probably didn’t do so well). My anti-bucket list is a mix of nasty things I really don’t want to do and some common things you find in most bucket lists that I don’t mind skipping. I think it’s more worthwhile to invest in experiences that are actually important and meaningful to you and not just to check things off a list for the sake of bragging rights. Thanks for reading!

6. Niel

Other stuff-to-do (or not-to-do) for the adventurer in us:
    – do a triathlon
    – bungee jump
    – hang glide
    – camp alone
    – do one of the seven summits (can replace #2 for those not as rich)
    – skinny dip
    – go vegetarian
    stuff you can tell your grand kids.

1. Tintin Post author

I’ll probably skip the triathlon. Anything that involves running is torture for me (no surprise there). I’m game (sort of) with the rest. I may need another merciless, barrel-chested ex-Navy Seals to push me off the ledge for that bungee jump.

7. mzsura

I agree with a lot of these, esp # 3. As much as I try, I just don’t think I’ll ever enjoy running enough to complete a marathon!

Any other places you wouldnt return to (like boracay)? I am heading back there in January. It will be my husband’s first visit and we’re narrowing down the list places to see.

1. Tintin Post author

I actually enjoyed a lot of places I’ve visited around the country so aside from Boracay, I wouldn’t mind going to back to any of them. I’m biased towards quiet, laid-back places though so I’d choose to go back to say, Dumaguete rather than Cebu City, which is more urbanized and actually looks a little like Metro Manila already.

If you have the money to spend on airfare, go to Batanes. It is one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful place in the Philippines. Airfare is pretty steep, around P12,000-14,000 on a round trip ticket but it’s sooo worth it. It’s the one place I always dream of going back to. I’ve blogged about Batanes and posted lots of photos, you can check out the subcategory under Travel on the right sidebar. Best of luck on your trip here and I hope you’ll have loads of fun!

8. Cris

OMG OMG OMG, I can totally relate! Hahaha. Except for #9, everything is spot on! Sorry for the delayed reaction, saw this article only after you changed your layout, hehe.

1. Cris

Hahaha! And the thing about the nails- I never get them done by anyone! Naldy finds it weird how I’m able to pull my feet so close to my face so I can see them with my myopic eyes as I do my own pedicure! 😀