Date a Guy Who Climbs Mountains

Lately I’ve been hanging out with mountaineer friends who have just been turned down by the women of their dreams (read: basted). Conversations were peppered with tales of heartbreak and extreme emo-ness. Of course, I had a grand time making fun of them because I’m brimming with empathy like that.

But on a serious note, I do feel for these guys who I know have good hearts and sincere intentions so I thought of writing this for them. I know this whole “Date a Girl/Guy Who…” format has been around for a while and may have already gone passé but, eh, who gives a damn.

To my favorite emo buddies, this one’s for you. Hearts are easy to break and girls are hard to get but life is still one hell of a fun ride. No matter what, we’ll still have mountains to climb and beaches to crash. We’ll have our sunsets and long bus rides and bottles of cold Mountain Dew. We shall laugh and drink and swap cheesy song lyrics. We shall live and have a kickass time. So here goes.

Date a guy who climbs mountains. Date a guy who hikes for hours to reach the highest peaks just for the heck of it. He’s the one with the muddy shoes, smelly backpack, worn-out hiking pants and a complexion that has survived the worst of sunburns.

Date a guy who feels right at home on a campsite, who thinks electricity and indoor plumbing are non-essentials. He can pitch a tent that’ll keep you warm and dry even amidst the pounding rain. He can fix up a kitchen with just a foldable stove, a canister of butane and two metal pots. He will serve you hot soup and well-cooked, fluffy rice and they’d be the best stuff you’ve ever tasted after a whole day of trekking.

Find a guy who has been to the summit. He will tell you tales of amazing things he has seen, of sights that took his breath away, and he will take you there so you can experience them for yourself.

He falls silent at the sight of a beautiful sunrise. He stands in awe at the stunning view of the valley below. He knows how to value beauty because he has braved forest trails and steep ascents just to see it.

Find a guy who has travelled to remote places in search of a challenging climb. He will not back down from an obstacle. He will look at adversity straight in the eye and say ‘give me the best you’ve got.’ He can keep his cool in the face of life’s problems because he already knows what it’s like to go through the crappiest of situations and survive.

Date a guy who is happiest on a mountain. Listen to his stories. Laugh at his jokes. You will never have a dull moment with him. When you’ve left behind the trappings of modern society and life has been stripped down to the basics, he will make you feel like nothing is missing and you have all you’ll ever need.

Date a guy who climbs mountains. Keep him. Don’t break his heart. He will treasure you and take you on his most outrageous adventures. He will drag you out of your comfort zone and keep your pulse racing. Say yes to a guy who climbs mountains. He will make you feel incredibly alive.

Girls, if you’ve been thoroughly convinced by this ultra-cheesy post and you now want to go out with super-awesome mountaineers, let me know. I will trade you their mobile numbers for a bucket of ice-cold beer. ‘Cause I’m nice like that. 😀

Advertisements

238 thoughts on “Date a Guy Who Climbs Mountains

1. jebuzinjamonk

Big Boy,

Ang Pag-Ibig ay parang alak lang, pag nasobrahan may tama ka!….kantahin na lang natin yung kinanta natin sa trail kahapon to make our job as sweepers more enjoyable,…remember the song from GG…..

mabuti pa ang galunggong, nasasabihan ng mahal;
        mabuti pa ang mga bisyo umaasang babalikan;
        mabuti pa sila, mabuti pa sila di tulad mong lage na lang masaya(pag kasamang umakyat) hehehe….

Mabuti pa ang mga snathcers laging may naghahabol;
        Mabuti pa ang lumang computer, meron pa rin compatible;
        Pero mas pinaka mabuti ang isang Moutanineer,
        Katulad mong lagi na lang lingo-lingo umakakyat….hahahaha..

Hayahay!!!….

2. miss mae

very interesting.. i had admire a mountaineer before and i really think that he’s cool.. but its too late for me now coz he’s now married.. huhuhu.

1. Bonzenti Panganiban

I like it tin. even if the guy have not climb a mountain before but undergone various obstacles in life, he still face that with full of confidence. Galing galing ng post mo. hanep talaga. :-).

2. Lady E

This is an idea…I’ve got some pretty big mountains on my doorstep, so should be able to find guys who like climbing them you’d think?
    🙂

1. nagbabasang pinoy Post author

Could happen. Or just climb them yourself and have fun with it. Climbing a mountain is an amazing experience, with or without a guy. 🙂 Thanks for dropping by and best of luck!

3. c0d3r

Nice Ma’am…

Good job on creating this article… definitely two thumbs-up for you…

Keep climbing/trekking guys… 🙂

1. nagbabasang pinoy Post author

Thank you! Really now. I happen to know a number of mountaineers who are single… 😀 We go on weekend day hikes every so often. You and your friend are welcome to hang out with us. 😉 Basta may suhol akong beer. Hehehe.

4. Dhenisse

Thumbs up for this blog Maam..Pag akyat ng bundok ang kaagapay ko para maka move on ng mabilis…hehe..

5. irishvidal

oh.. im willing to trade! lol! 😀 baka nagkakataon lang magkaiba lagi ang bundok na inaakyat namin! kaya hindi kami magkatagpo! haha!

but very nice blog! very inspiring! 😉

6. irishvidal

wahahaha!!! yes i demand for that! haha! ay unga noh hindi magka-sync IT namin! haha! pero pwede rin baka isa na siya sa mga nakasama kong nilamig sa pulag.. or nakasamang natakot sa bangin ng batulao or or isa rin sa mga naalog ang utak papuntang pinatubo! hehe..

oh.. btw, love ur shoes! 😉

1. nagbabasang pinoy Post author

Sige, pinagpipilian ko nang title either “The Mountaineer Matchmaker” or “The Greatest Wing(wo)man Ever.” Hehe. Edi tingnan mo na ulit yung mga summit photos mo dun. Baka nakasama (or naki-photobomb) sya. 😀

Salamat! Marami niyan sa Merrell. Hehe.

7. woody

nice post mam…. iba purpose ko sa pag climb ko, pero ngayon may bago na, to climb more para may makipag date sa akin… ha ha ha
    i enjoy and always climbing alone, but its better climbing with a group.

1. woody

i agree mam, kaso pag group kasi once a month lang ang climb, kaya mas maraming solo climb… he he he
        siguro nagkikita na tayo sa trail or di kaya sa summit…

1. jebuzinjamonk

Buhay na naman c MEGA BAR kahit dito…mukhang meron na naman nyan this Sunday. Pero totoo sinabi ni Boss Chito, d ko pa nakikita c Tin na nahuhuli..palaging nauuna yan..hehe

8. jet

heads up, kasalukuyang bumebenta to sa CARB mountaineers nung shinare ko sa post climb kina Nay Nini. Kelan ka raw pwedeng ilibre ng beer? wahahaha

1. nagbabasang pinoy Post author

Aba, basta libreng beer paglalaanan ko talaga ng panahon ‘yan. Kelan nila gusto? Wehehe. Balik na akong Manila bukas. Pale pilsen na ulit tayo, Jet. Tumitirik na atay ko sa kaka-Red Horse dito sa Zamboanga. Yun ang trip ng mga mountaineers dito.

1. jet

let us! ngayong pwede na rin maging pretentious sa pag-inom ng pale pilsen dahil hindi na panglolo ang korte ng bote. although, to be honest, parang di siya pale pilsen pag wala sa ganung bote hahaha

1. nagbabasang pinoy Post author

Oo nga! Pwede na rin tayong magpanggap na cool. Hahaha. Bilhin natin yung grande, ganun pa rin ang shape. Yun talaga pang mga tatay na may beer belly na tumatagay sa suking tindahan. Hehe

2. Zaira Marie Verunque

I have some mountains in mind for a trek,
        and wants to traverse them for a break.
        I’ve been with friends to hike all along,
        how would it feel to be w/ a special man to climb all day long?

Care to make me feel?…hahahaha

1. liquiddruid

In furness, inattribute naman sa iyo ni Bani Balaguer ito.

Pero yung mga iba, hindi. Kapal ng mukha. Matosoc sana sila ng tinik sa trail.

(Pero sa palagay ko, kailangan talaga nila ng post mo para merong mang-date sa kanila. Kung titingnan mo ang About page nila, obvious na obvious kung bakit. Bwahahaha.)

1. nagbabasang pinoy Post author

Yep, I have no problem at all with Sir Bani. It was a proper reblog. Na-flatter nga ako eh. Hehe. Yung iba na kinopy-paste lang tapos walang attribution ang nakakainis.

Panalo ang banat mo! I’m glad to have friends like you in times like this. May bonggang mang-away on my behalf. Hahaha. Thanks!

1. liquiddruid

Ooops, haha, sorry force of habit. ;D

Ah, so they’ve told you about Gracey. We’ve actually been going out since last year, but we’re dating exclusively now 🙂 You can see her in my recent posts on the Gigantes Islands.

2. nagbabasang pinoy Post author

Wheee!!! Kinilig naman ako para sayo. 😀 Yep, Des told me about your Lasertag date while I was still in Zamboanga. Syiempre mabilis talaga satin ang chismis. Hehe. Congrats!! Kelangan na talagang magka-part two ang Lasertag so I can also meet her.

1. jet

I tell you, one of these days may magiimproper reblog kasama pati intro mo tsaka closing eh. tas sila hahabulin for the beer offer hahahaha

9. Tatay Joni

great article!

Of course the dating place would be on the mountain, the cinema would be the summit, an ordinary 3-in-1 coffee prepared atop will have great taste than Starbucks, and Sky Flakes would be yummier than Krispy Kreme.

And even if you sleep together inside a tent, he will only hug you (and maybe kiss you) but will respect you for sure, for patience is a virtue among mountaineers.

Maganda po ang blog niyo mam, puro major climbs, sana maranasan ko din po yan.

🙂

10. cory

wow.. nice write-up.. sana lang ma edit yung ending, wag na bucket..:).. isang bote na lang po para mas mura…:)… God bless po..:)..

-Cory

11. Mitch

I dated a guy who climbs mountains once. We went out for a couple of times, and actually liked said guy. But sadly he stood me up on my birthday… Super turn off…. 😦

1. Tintin Post author

Aww, that sucks. I hope you still had a great birthday though. We’re bound to run into disappointments at some point, particularly in the dating arena, but life may have something/someone better in store for you just yet. Here’s to spending your future birthdays with people who will show up and make you feel special and loved! 🙂

12. moi

wow. i just came upon your blog and was just about to mention something in the line of “…how about dating a girl who climbs mountains?” when I saw na you’ve already written an entry in that subject 🙂 i shared the latter entry in my FB site ha…

as for being the mountain climbing art, isa pa lang namang major climb ang nagawa ko — the highest peak in Luzon.. 🙂 …hahaha, sorry if i ranted on this comment, i just had fun reading your post. does that qualify me for your entry’s last paragraph? 🙂 cheers!

1. Tintin Post author

Thanks for reading and sharing my post! I really appreciate it.

And good job on climbing Pulag. I haven’t even climbed Luzon’s highest peak yet. I got confused with your question though. Not sure exactly what you mean. (Sorry, medyo slow talaga ako. Hehe.) Cheers!

13. verna estorya

Ang saya ng blog mo, specially ang bonggang-bonggang Date a Guy who Climbs Mountains. I came across your blog because I was looking for tips for Pico de Loro and I learned about so much more. Keep writing and keep inspiring!

1. Tintin Post author

Thanks Verna! I’ve been having a hard time writing these days so this is a great encouragement. Thank you for reading and I’m glad you got some useful info here.

1. Tintin Post author

That’ll be the day. Haha! But sure, we’ll go on another food trip and I’ll spill all the chismis. 😛 Thanks for dropping by. Miss you!

14. judel espina

hey! i’m uber kilig by this post. i’ve thought of writing a post with the same title but thought of googling it first. and i guess you already saved me the effort of having to write one. 🙂 you exactly had the same thoughts as i do. so do you mind if i share this one on facebook? thanks…

15. pinkgiwaffe

I’ve dated men who climb mountains. In fact, I just came back from a trip. I’m still pleasantly surprised that my hiking partner can make such delicious scrambled eggs with toast and baked beans. I’ve also seen his expression when he’s in awe with nature. Wonderful moments.

Yes, those mobile numbers are welcomed .. lol.

16. Phoenix

Nice one!

I’m not looking for one, though..indeed i am one of the climber. And yes, some people don’t know the passion that we have living with mother nature and to put aside all the techno..

Can’t help but to share it in my blog! Can i?

17. Pingback: Date a Guy Who Climbs Mountains | adventurouskikay

18. Ada

Reblogged this on Ada Belle and commented:
    Luckily, I stumbled upon this beautiful post, read on and know why you should date a mountaineer.

“Date a guy who is happiest on a mountain. Listen to his stories. Laugh at his jokes. You will never have a dull moment with him.” -nagbabasangpinoy.wordpress.com

19. jenny_albay

hi, ms. kristine. can you give me one of this guy. hehehehe. can i share this link to my FB account.

1. Tintin Post author

Unfortunately, I don’t own one so I can’t give one away. Hehe. Sure, feel free to share. Just give proper credit and it’s all good. Thanks!

1. intrepidinindia

Actually in that article you manage to list all the good reasons to date a girl who climbs mountains!! 🙂

20. swati

I did find myslf such a guy!! And he is ammmazingg!!!!!! The blog above, brought back our experiences together on the mountains, at the sunrise/sets, in the sea, amidsr the clouds….. I am glad i have him..!! ❤

21. Summit Chaser

Hey tin tin.
    I love this blog very much. I love to climb also..
    so how about those bucket of ice cold beer eh? Hehe
    My friend and I would like to meet those guy friends of yours. ^_^
    Will wait for your reply.
    Thanks! =)

22. Summit Chaser

Hi tintin,
    Love this blog very much. ♥
    So how about those bucket of ice cold beer eh?
    My friend and I would like to meet your guy mountaineer friends hehe.
    Will wait for your reply.
    Thanks! =)

1. Tintin

Thanks for reading! The blog post is tongue-in-cheek but I’ve actually gotten quite a lot of these kinds of requests already. I’m now starting to wonder if you guys are really serious. 😀

1. Tintin Post author

Reserve the farting pag close na kayo. Wag muna sa first date, okay? Hehe. (Tsaka malawak naman ang parang, labas-labas din ng tent pag nauutot. :P)

23. chelsea

Hello, I really like your blog and also about the “Don’t Date a Girl Who Climbs Mountains”

hayy because of this blog, i remember the guy that i really like.. he’s my good friend and also a mountaineer and the 1st time i climbed a mountain, i was with him. And now, unfortunately we’re still JUST friends. hahaha.. *justsharing

1. chelsea

hahaha! natawa ako don sa page. Okay it’s Ramon Bautista.. hehe. do you have fb account Ms.tintin? I’ll addd youuuuu ^_^

24. sweetlady21

yea tin …nice…now i may say…i want some1 with similar interest so we can enjoy doing things together..yay!

25. Bianx bianx

I really want to try na makaakyat with or without a guy… Ahaha!t’was really nice to read your post…^_^

1. Bianx bianx

Iv already tried climbing ma’am. With a guy! And it was awesome! He even carried my bag filled with unecessary things i thought i might need. Such a gentleman. Too bad were just friends. Ahaha!

26. kat

hahaha… saw this link via fb.. and I miss having a mountaineer boyfriend.. sadly, things didnt work out well.. but given a chance, I look forward to having a new guy with the same passion for mountains, nature and travel 😀

1. Tintin Post author

Too bad. I hope you’re still into mountaineering though. Good thing the passion that drives us to climb is not dependent on relationship status. 😉

27. Pingback: Date a Guy Who Climbs Mountains | .....troubledblogger's blog

28. Hopelessromanticchic

Wonderful writing. Kilig tuloy ako. I have a prominent mountaineer crush. Pero he’s in love. With his mountains haha. Sayang I didnt get to meet him when he climbed a mountain in our place. Hannngang Facebook nalang. Haha

29. HB

Bagay po kaya ang girl who climbs mountains and a guy who climbs mountains. What a stupid question of mine. I wanted to date this type of a guy, you think he wanted to date me too? Baket nong umaakayat ako wala man lang guy who asked me for a date? lolz : (

1. bitterano

bagay na bagay! PERO mahirap umasa maam #BeenThereDoneThat hehehe.. Ang point ko lamang ay chill lang tayo maam kung hindi mo makita sa iyong pag ibig sa iyong activity, eh makikita mo din yan eventually 😛

30. Elias

Srsly, its so fun to be with a guy who is adventurous. You can do things you never did before. I’ve been dreaming to go hiking when I was still in HS and luckily I met this guy during college. We became barkadas and after that, na-develop. Hehe. And masasabi ko talaga, I’m so lucky to have a man na ang daming exp. when it comes to adventure/hiking. My first cimb was Gulugod baboy and the fact na as in kaming 2 lang yung nag camp that night. Solo namin siya ng overnight and sobrang napaka memorable na first time exp. mag-climb. Sinadya ata ng universe. Haha. I got introduced to hiking by him and sobrang fulfillment sa life ko yun. Anyway, masasabi ko na guys who climb mountains are the kindest. Kasi alam nila i-value lahat ng bagay. I always feel safe kapag kasama ko siya lalo na sa mga climb namin. OMG, this is too much to post. Sorry! Just sharing my thoughts kasi sobrang nakakarelate ako sa post na to 🙂 The sad part is we have to be away from each other ngayon and sobrang nakakamiss mag-climb and beach 😦 Kaya girls out there, I assure you, you’ll be the luckiest if you’ll end up with a mountaineer ❤

31. Aggibird

Great post really enjoyed reading it. It just a reminder of how you should go with the flow and take it easy and forgot about what is normal or not but simply listen to our heart and intuition!
    Ps: can I have a mountaineer’s phone number?! :-p

32. Kathleen Esberto Marzan

okay itong post mo ms. tin. about these mountaineering guys 😀 nakasubok na din ako, isang beses palang na mamundok.at napakaganda ng experience.i always wanted to explore more mountains hopefully magtuloy tuloy this year, sana nga lang may makakasama ako.

PS: pwede ko din ba silang makilala? 😀

33. Michael Tannery

Great post. As a hiker myself who’s been from the summits of fourteeners in Colorado, to the remote jungles of Thailand, I would agree. A lot of us are solo travelers in search of something, and yet along the muddy trails, we find ourselves.

34. Zaira Marie Verunque

I have some mountains in mind for a trek,
    and wants to traverse them for a break.
    I’ve been with friends to hike all along,
    how would it feel to be w/ a special man to climb all day long?

Care to make me feel?…hahahaha

35. Pingback: Date a Guy Who Climbs Mountains – My Addendum | In Somnolence and Discombobulation

36. Samay Baldemor

Woowww! Ilang bundok pa kaya ang kailangang akyatin o ilang lugar pa kaya ang kailangang mapuntahan para makilala siya?… Hehe… Ang galing po.. *^_^*

37. Aileen Forester

As much as I respect my boyfriend’s hobby, there are some cons to dating a guy or having a boyfriend who climbs mountains.

1. Because he’s having the time of his life in the mountains, he forgets he has a girlfriend back home and neglects to even tell her anything even if there’s cell service or whatever you call it.. signal.

2. They forget that they were once beginners. These type of guys tend to get cocky just because he’s been to Mount A, Mount B and Mount C. And whenever a beginner journeys with them, he makes fun of them.

3. They scoff at you when you make a simple comment about mountaineering – thinking they’re better than you.

4. You’re too slow. When you exercise together and he sees that you’re not as fast as he is, he makes you feel guilty by telling you you’re slowing him down.

5. The phrase “I miss you” ticks him off. We haven’t seen you for days or weeks, how are we supposed to feel about that, huh?

6. Gears are more important to him than health insurances. He’d rather spend $100 on ONE mountaineering gear than pay for something he’ll actually benefit from which is a whole lot cheaper. And when you tell him it’s important, he discards that idea.

Look, I love my boyfriend but sometimes, he overwhelms me with all these. I respect that he likes to climb mountains and goes on summits but PLEASE don’t forget that there are also other priorities.

38. Pingback: Date a Girl Who Writes | Ideacrib

39. Pingback: Date a Girl Who Writes | Ideacrib

40. Pingback: What it means to date a girl who writes

41. Pingback: The Why’s of Climbing: A Mt. Romelo Analysis of Reasons | Life As It Is

42. viajeracebuana

Thanks for sharing this Tiiiiiinnnnn… ☺ being someone who climbs as well, I truly agree that a guy who climbs will get you out of your comfort zone and keeps your pulse racing. Sana lang ma meet ko na siya soon. ☺ para naman makapag climb kami ng sabay. ☺ Hope to climb with you as well here in Cebu.

XOXO,

-JL

43. Maia

wow ..geez… did i just cry? i remember climbing alto peak and i turnd down one of the mountaineers becus i thought he was weird asking me if i wanted to have a wedding in Mt.Apo???